I. Purpose and Scope
This Code of Professional Ethics (hereinafter called the “Code”) lays down the standards of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality which all interpreters will be bound to respect in their work.
II. Code of Honor
Interpreters chosen for a specific conference shall be bound by the strictest secrecy, which must be observed towards all persons and with regard to all information disclosed in the course of the practice of the profession at any gathering not open to the public.
The interpreters shall refrain from deriving any personal gain whatsoever from confidential information they may have acquired in the exercise of their duties as conference interpreters.
The interpreters shall not accept any assignment for which they are not they are not qualified. Acceptance of an assignment shall imply a moral undertaking on the interpreter’s part to work with all due professionalism. Interpreters shall not accept more than one assignment for the same period of time.
The interpreters shall not accept any job or situation which might detract from the dignity of the profession. They shall refrain from any act which might bring the profession into disrepute.
With a view to ensure the best quality interpretation, interpreters working with Tamarind Translations shall:
- endeavor always to secure satisfactory conditions of sound, visibility and comfort, having particular regard to the organisation’s standards
- not, as a general rule, work either alone or without the availability of a colleague to relieve them should the need arise , when interpreting simultaneously in a booth
- require a direct view of the speaker and the room and therefore will not agree to working from screens except in exceptional circumstances where a direct view is not possible provided the arrangements comply with our organisation’s appropriate technical specifications and rules
- require that working documents and texts to be read out at the conference be sent to them in advance
- request a briefing session whenever appropriate
- not perform any other duties except that of conference interpreter at conferences for which they have been assigned as interpreters.
Interpreters shall neither accept nor offer for themselves or for other conference interpreters recruited through them, be it a team picked by the organisation or not, any working conditions contrary to those laid down in this Code.
Nairobi January 2016
Tamarind Translations Ltd.